Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Books to movies

If the planets align juuuuust right...everything will be perfect in the universe.

Ya, right.

In the movies, what ever isn't right can be made right with technology that's amazing. I'll admit, I'm a huge fan of blockbuster movies with mindboggling special effects.

But, as exciting as it would be to have a book chosen to be made into a movie, movies often don't do a book justice. They take liberties with the storyline - even as far as just basing the movie on the book. Meaning, only the basic idea of the book was kept - which perhaps, might actually be better than a 'book to movie' cuz at least expectations of the movie's trueness would be far less.

'Trueness' to a book is ideal. When I read a book and fall in love with the characters and the storyline - I want that feeling when I see the movie - I don't think that's too much to ask. :o)

Some authors, like J.K. Rowling, demanded that the movies made of her books be true to them. I think initially her intentions were good, but then her books grew in length and we started to see a decline in the "trueness". I imagine 700+ page novels are difficult to turn into a movie, and I imagine I'm being difficult to please, but so be it.

Now, if someone offered to turn my novel into a movie, I probably wouldn't turn my nose up at that opportunity, but I would demand 'trueness' to my book. And since my book is not 700+ pages, it would be so easy! I'm just putting that one out there...

No comments: